If you want to rank your website in the search engine then your site should load faster in the browser. For that purpose, you have to go for Website Speed Optimization. There are several ways to do that and several steps to do that.
Maybe some question arises in your mind. Some of them get answered below.
Is Website Speed Optimization effects SEO?
Yes, Website speed effects search engine rank. According to my knowledge if your website is slower then you will face a hard time to sank in Google SERP.
How to Optimize your website loading speed?
- Choose a better host.
- Use framework/theme.
- Use a good caching plugin.
- Use a content delivery network (CDN) like Cloudflare
- Optimize images (automatically)
- Optimize your homepage to load quickly.
- Optimize your WordPress database.
- Disable hotlinking and leeching of your content.
- Add an expires header to static resources
- Don’t store more post in draft.
and many more. For details please go to this topic.
Here we will talk only about CloudFlare as CDN.
What is CDN?
Content delivery networks (CDN) are the strong backbone of the Internet in the content delivery scenario.
No matter what you do, or what type of content you are reading, you’ll find CDNs behind every text, every image and every frame of the movie that gets delivered to your Computer and mobile browser.
CDN reduces latency in content delivary.
That latency is affected by a number of factors, but the major issue is the physical distance between you and that website’s hosting server.
A CDN is responsible to virtually shorten that physical distance and improve site rendering speed and performance.
What is CloudFlare?
Cloudflare is a CDN network. It is free service. You can use it as a free Website Speed Optimization tool.
How to use Cloudflare?
- Before going into the process please check please go for website load test. For this purpose, you can use Pingdom or Gtmetrix. Note down the speed. For our site it is 2.46 second.
- Now go to Cloudflare.com and log in into your account. If you don;t have an account then please register yourself first.
- After login click on Add Site button. Put your domain into the field and click on the Add site button on popup.
- Click on Next Button.
- You will find there are 4 options available. We will chose the free option and click on Confirm Plan.
- Click on Purchase Button.
- Now Cloudflare will send DNS query to your hosting provider.
- You will get two new name server.
- You have to put those into your hosting account. Login to your hosting account and change the Name Server to the new one provided by Cloudflare and click on Update Name Server.
- Then click on Confirm button on CloudFlare site where we left before.
- Go to Caching Tab and make confirm that Caching level is standard or not. It should Standard. rest option should kept as it is.
- Got to Speed Tab
- Enable Accelerated Mobile Links.
- On Rocket Loader
- Go to the Firewall tab.
- Click on Rate limiting on your account.
- Security level should be High.
Final Step :
It will take time to update the setting.
You can checkout it on Whois.net for update name server.
If it has been activated the please refresh your CloudFlare Account you will see the status is active.
Again you should checkout the loading speed in pingdom speed test.
For our website it is reduced to 1.90. Great … All is free.
For Video tutorial on Free Website Speed Optimization with CloudFlare please checkout this video. :